We’ve been told time and time again, breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and here is a recipe everyone can enjoy whether you are vegan, vegetarian or a meat-eater. However you usually take your breakfast (eggs on toast every morning for G and a smoothie to go for me) sometimes you might need a quick bowl of cereal to keep you going.
But cereal is never package-free, rarely organic and is always packed full of sugar. So instead of paying a fortune for brands like Alpen or Rude Health, with added sugar, salt and preservatives, here is a super easy recipe for muesli to set you up for the week ahead.
You can pick and choose any ingredients to your own taste and add in as much or as little as you like. Let me know if you have any other ingredient ideas in the comments!
- 1 large storage jar
- oat and bran mix
- 1 large handful of mixed nuts
- 1 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 1 large handful of raisins or sultanas
- 1 tsp cinnamon or mixed spice
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp of seeds (eg: sunflower/ pumpkin)
- 1 tbsp of dried fruit (eg: mango, banana, apple, cranberries)
- Fill half the jar with oat and bran mix (oats will do fine on their own if you cannot access oat and bran mix in bulk).
- Grind the nuts into smaller pieces in a pestle and mortar.
- Add the nuts, coconut, raisins, dried fruit, cinnamon and seeds to the jar.
- Replace the lid on the jar and shake vigorously.
- Top up the jar with more oat and bran mix and shake again.
- Serve with milk with a spoonful of honey, a dollop of nut butter or a scoop of yoghurt and enjoy.